[csw-maintainers] Xlibs regression when building xterm (Xrender.h/Xft.h not found, ...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Sep 21 17:28:04 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just wanted to bump the xterm [1] version, ran into build issues, and
> noticed that i can't even build the version which i had released a few
> months ago any more (was r4246).
>
> ./configure fails to detect freetype support due to missing Xrender.h and
> Xft.h files [2]. What's the proper way to fix this?

as a reminder to people who may not be familiar with things:

previously, we provided an "Xrender" package, that provided the header files.
The extension is somewhat odd, in that it only needs the header files
to compile, not libraries.
So, you could compile it on 8, even though it would not support
xrender on 8. but it woudl automatically work right with later
versions of solaris.
(something like that, anyways).

HOWEVER; our new xrender package, provides actual libs, which tie into
the "new" X11.

So, I think your choices are basically either

A) grab the "old" headers and keep em around, and compile the old way
or
B) make xterm depend fully on our new, modern X11 libs from now on.

But I'll let our new X11 lib maintainers chime in now.