[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 23 10:37:28 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote on 24.08.2009 21:01:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org <mailto:maciej at opencsw.org>> wrote:
>
>     +1
>
>     pyantlrrt --> py_antlrrt
>     pyyaml --> py_yaml
>
>     How do we go about the change? Modify catalogname without touching
>     pkgname? Will the usual pkg-get/pkgutil update do the right thing?
>
> dependancies are based on CSWname, not software name, so it should "do
> the right thing". The places where it will break, are where admins may
> have saved procedures, that do things like:
>
> machine1$   pkg-get -l >save-list
>   #time passes...
> machine2$   pkg-get -i `cat save-list`
>
> Not to mention, changing softwarename is kinda a pain for me to deal
> with. But if there are "only a few", then all right.
>
> WITH THE EXCEPTION that, as someone noted, things with actual recognized
> name of "pyfoo", should REMAIN "pyfoo", not be artificially split to be
> "py_foo" in that case.

I was just about to file the bugs against packages which don't have the
py_ prefix. Just wanted to make sure we have reached a consensus here so
that i file the bugs against the right set of packages:

- python programs with a recognized name can/should be left as is
- python libraries will be prefixed with py_

Resuming the pyyaml example: pyyaml is a library (python modules only),
thus the software name would be py_yaml. This is similar to Debian's
policy [1], just that they prefix module packages with "python-". In
their case, pyyaml is packaged as python-yaml [2].

Sebastian

[1]http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-package_names
[2]http://packages.debian.org/lenny/python-yaml