[csw-maintainers] Using a package from current on stable

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 23 13:26:12 CEST 2009

On 23/09/09, 12:06:02, Daniel Pocock <daniel at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
[csw-maintainers] Using a package from current on stable:

> Given that my package is a new package and doesn't impact any other
> packages, are there any other steps I need to take to make it suitable
> for an upcoming stable release?  Will the use of cswclassutils prevent
> me from having the package in stable?

No.  The supporting packages would also need to be stable but in this
case that would happen.

Stable is produced as a snapshot, mainly because it's too hard to do
anything else, hence the supporting cast are also promoted.  It is
possible to prune unsuitable branches but where the interdependence
is high the whole snapshot has to be ready (please will someone fix
the BDB mess...).

If your package is new it would be pruned from the stable snapshot
anyway.  It needs a "burn in" period in unstable.  Interdependence
and affidavits can affect the grace period.

James.