[csw-maintainers] Upgrading shared libraries

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Sep 23 19:23:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> every package that is "current"ly being distributed, needs to actually WORK.
>> for so long as CSWbar is present, CSWlibfoo must ensure that it does
>> not break, by supplying the older library that CSWbar requires.
>
> That's clear. What I had in mind is: how do we prevent our libraries
> from growing indefinitely in size due to stale dependent packages?

It's worked pretty well for 6 years now.
All the questions you are asking, are dealt with on a case-by-base basis.
There really isnt a need to spell out every single possible contingency.
[and there's a need to NOT spell it out.. documents that are too long,
get ignored.]

Bottom line is, progress happens by people willing to do work. not by
documenting things to the Nth degree.