[csw-maintainers] gar_devel

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Sep 24 22:51:48 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Sep 24 16:36:20 -0400 2009:
>
>> Could you describe more precisely what you mean by "get up and
>> running" please?
>
> Suck in all the packages required by GAR.

sorry for being dense.. but what definition of "by GAR" do you mean?

- to USE gar, to build something from a gar spec, that the user
happens to have already laying around?
- to use **CSW gar**, to specifically check something out from *our*
subversion tree, and build it?
- to possibly modify [csw gar] codebase or something, but not
neccessarily to DO any work "using gar"?
  (that's what the name "gardevel" implies. to ME, at least)

> Easier to type and can be updated to reflect any future changes to GAR
> requirements.  It doesn't bring a GAR package itself, but it makes
> getting started easier.  It's a 'lazy web' kind of thing.

Why not "make a gar package" straight up, instead of going halfway?
We badly need it. and Dago is too busy to do it :)

A suggestion: I personally think a package layout that makes sense for
that would be:

1. CSWgar  - a package of "the gar build system/utilities",
independant of anything else
2. CSWcswgar - a layer on top of CSWgar, that adds in all the OpenCSW
specific stuff, to generic GAR, plus adds in a subversion dependancy,
etc.