[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Thu Sep 24 23:38:12 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote on 24.09.2009 18:59:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>  py_<modulename>
>>
>> Here, <modulename> is absolutely non-ambiguous; one refers to this name
>> when importing a python module. Would a general policy like this (also
>> applied to pyyaml, modulename: yaml) hurt? I don't think so.
>
> PS: I forgot to mention my thoughts, that for PURE "modules" only,
> this makes a good idea of sense to me.
> But what about python "applications"?  or what about things that are
> part module, and part application?

I just went through our packages to get a feeling of what we have. In
the "part module, part application" or "python application" section, i
would see people being interested in the application, not in the
modules. The contained modules most likely only support the application
after all.

Examples:
- mercurial
- buildbot
- trac
- fetchmailconf
- gitosis
- ...

Makes sense to keep the upstream name here. There are some corner cases
like "twisted" [1] or "pil" [2], where i wouldn't know offhand what to
do best (they are mainly libs, but also have some stuff in /opt/csw/bin).

So how about
1) If it's a pure module, py_<modulename>.
2) If it's main use is as application, <upstreamname>.
3) In case of doubt, cross-check with other distributions?.

With step 1) un-ambiguously catching alot and step 2) then being an easy
call mostly, we will have covered the majority of packages. The few
remaining ones might as well be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Sebastian

[1] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/twisted
[2] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/pil