[csw-maintainers] pkgutil version updates on the mirror roots? Make pkgutil package ARCH=all?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Sep 28 22:15:06 CEST 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote on 28.09.2009 21:16:
> Am 28.09.2009 um 21:12 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
>> pkgutil was placed straight at the mirror root a while ago to
>> facilitate
>> downloading, but it doesn't seem to get updates. The version floating
>> around [1,2] is 1.5, most recent pkgutil is 1.7. Could this please be
>> fixed (and be kept in sync in the future pleeeaase :).
>>
>> Furthermore, could pkgutil be made an ARCH=all package, so that
>> there is
>> just _one_ direct link that one can point new users to and not a
>> platform specific one (i know about uname -p, still it just makes
>> things
>> more straightforward)?
>>
>> I see, the package contains a wget which is platform specific.
>> Couldn't
>> we just include two wgets (wget.i386, wget.sparc)? From what i
>> remember,
>> that is the same approach Sun uses for its explorer package.
>
> This was Peters intent, but Phil argued strongly against having
> ARCHALL=1
> packages with arch-specific binaries. See the thread for details:
>    <http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2008-November/000089.html
>  >

Wow, that's a huge discussion. I couldn't resist thinking about our
motto (while reading):

  "to provide a straightforward, easy-to-use experience for the user"

pkgutil is one out of two possible packages of ours that a user comes
across first. While i see that there is a need to decide about what
should be an ARCH=all package, i don't really see the need to make an
example of pkgutil (considering that one could argue both ways). :/

Sebastian