[csw-maintainers] Upgrade problems??

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Mon Apr 5 04:05:17 CEST 2010

"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roger_H=E5kansson?=" <hson at opencsw.org> writes:

>On 2010-04-04 08:27, Jeffery Small wrote:
>>When I do a pkgchk -l CSWxpdf, it
>> reports that files like pdffonts, pdfimages, pdfinfo, pdftoppm, pdftops,
>> and pdftotext are referenced by packages CSWpoppler and CSWxpdf.  I'm gonna'
>> take a guess here and say that there may be a conflict between these two
>> packages and that may somehow be responsible for CSWxpdf getting trashed -
>> possibly when CSWpoppler is upgraded?

>Yes there is a conflict between CSWpoppler and CSWxpdf due to the fact
>that poppler is a fork of the xpdf source and they have kept the binary
>names. CSWpoppler have CSWxpdf marked as incompatible so you should not
>be able to install it by mistake, however CSWxpdf does not have
>CSWpoppler as incompatible (yet).

CSWpoppler is a rendering library while CSWxpdf is a PDF viewer.

CSWpoppler is required for evince, gimp and claws_pdfviewer, so it is
crucial.  So how can you allow this type of incompatibility which should
make it impossible to install xpdf?  Why hasn't xpdf been fixed to rely
on CSWpoppler?  Making these packages incompatible is no solution.  I do
not understand why CSWpoppler ever got released with this incompatibility
intact?

Stuff like this makes the entire CSW tree unpredictable.  You can't have
one package simply removing another!  And I consider xpdf to be a very
valuable program.  It's 5 times faster than Adobe Reader.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040