[csw-maintainers] cswpkgloghooks, shell choices

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 5 21:46:49 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Apr 05 15:39:51 -0400 2010:

> ksh is standard (been there since almost forever), and is even on
> boot cdroms.  But you wont use that either, I presume.... The true
> reason, I'm guessing, being that "it's not bash" :-)

You presume wrong.  If I was familiar with ksh, I'd turn to that
first.  I'm not...and I see _zero_ value in learning it in 2010.  Bash
is 'standard enough' as it's on sol8+, which for CSW purposes is all
that's required.  It lets me do things without calling out to external
tools for something simple like this, which is why I didn't turn to
xpg4/bin/sh.

If, hypothetically, bash isn't an acceptable, my next tool (when
looking for something widely available) would be perl...

Thanks