[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] ClamAV 0.96 on Solaris9/10 - Intel

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 6 01:06:32 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Apr 05 16:23:54 -0400 2010:

> ie: "if someone gets offended, it's THEIR fault, not the speaker".

I've seen this theme pop up a few times lately (in completely
unrelated contexts) and I'll say it again: Taking offense at something
is stupid.  It implies that the speaker should put their own thoughts
at a lesser standing than the 'hearer.'  The notion of offense is that
of taking a non-personal statement and being insulted by it.  So, if
you take offense at something, it's inherently your 'fault' for doing
so.  It restricts the ability of someone to properly speak their mind
which leads us to the insane levels of political correctness we have
today.

Had Dago specified someone/something personal then yes, someone could
rightly take _insult_ at such a statement.  That is clearly not the
case here.

Thanks