[csw-maintainers] About SUNW X11, CSW X11 and OpenGL

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 6 16:22:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am experimenting in doing specific compiles for SUNW X11 and
CSW X11 to provide accelerated 3D with SUNW X11 while allowing
up-to-date packages with OpenCSW X11. Some notes:

(1) Package names and contents
I suggest making different sets of packages,
   CSW<pkg>    bound against SUNW X11
   CSWx11<pkg> bound against OpenCSW X11
where <pkg> conforms to regular naming standards, like *rt, etc.
The files in CSWx11<pkg> are in /opt/csw/X11/* while the files for
CSW<pkg> are in regular /opt/csw/(lib|...) locations. This way
existing binaries without OpenCSW X11 can continue to work.
Only CSWx11<pkg> depends on CSWx11smi, CSWx11libx11, etc.

(2) OpenGL
Solaris 9 doesn't have an OpenGL binding by default. There is one at
   <http://www.sun.com/software/graphics/opengl/download.xml>
for Solaris 9 Sparc, but not x86. Solaris 10 has a bundled gl.h, but
in GL/gl.h where e.h. giflib checks for gl/gl.h. Are these different
libs or is there a link or something missing? And when I compile
on Solaris 9 SUNWglrt is an optional package which I can not rely
on. How should I proceed here? Compile without OpenGL on Solaris 9
and only depend on Solaris 10 builtin OpenGL?

The first set of packages (giflib) compiled without OpenGL on
Solaris 9 only, separate CSW X11 and SUNW X11 version is
available at
   <http://mirror.opencsw.org/experimental.html#x11>
for inspection.