[csw-maintainers] About SUNW X11, CSW X11 and OpenGL

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Apr 10 09:29:21 CEST 2010

Hi Roger,

Am 09.04.2010 um 22:55 schrieb Roger Håkansson:
> Wait a minute, you're proposing that we start releasing two versions
> of the same package for a ton of packages?

The main issue that we can either have a current X11 or OpenGL
acceleration.
Every X11 thing we build must decide which way it goes (or both when
packaged
up twice). As I don't use much 3D anyway I honestly don't know which
libs
would be needed for apps that benefit from it.

There is the additional problem that James encountered apps breaking
after
we changed libs in /opt/csw/lib to bind against the CSW X11.
Unfortunately
the problem could not be reproduced on the buildfarm and the exact cause
is yet unknown (James: correct me here if I'm wrong).
Keeping libs in /opt/csw/lib bound against SUNW X11 would keep existing
apps functioning and adding OpenCSW X11 libs in /opt/csw/X11/lib would
cleanly separate out libs.
I don't necessarily propagate this, but besides a lot of work it seems
clean and would minimize dependencies as apps that don't need OpenCSW
X11
could bind to libs bound to SUNW X11.

> I'm not familiar with the initial problem (which called for the
> OpenCSW X11), but I think this could get us digging ourselves deeper
> into a hole instead of getting us out of it.
> I'm not saying that we should do it in either way, just that maybe
> we should think about it some more before hasting into a solution
> that might bite back at us later on.

Absolutely true. I made this first effort to get a better feeling how
much work it is and experiment with the layout. As I said I don't have
much expertise in that field and would prefer to follow someone who
has a good understanding of all issues.