[csw-maintainers] checkpkg: Detecting file conflicts (wrt the recent ev.h conflict)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Apr 10 14:57:51 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Sat Apr 10 05:09:14 -0400 2010:

> A central cache would certainly speed things up, but it has to be
> something that can be also deployed outside of the buildfarm, so the
> package database doesn't qualify.  Perhaps we could have a tool that
> generates a file with the same format as /var/sadm/install/contents,
> and checkpkg would take "additional /var/sadm/install/contents
> files" as parameters:

Is the full /var/sadm/install/contents format required?  I'd expect
you only need the first and last fields to implement the check.  Eg:
File /x/y/z in your package CSWfoort conflicts with CSWoldfoo, or
something.

We have this info in the central database, as it's consumed by the
/search/ URL on the website.  If we made periodic (weekly?) dumps of
this data available for download/caching[1] by checkpkg, you could
achieve what's required, no?  It would be a public[1] URL, so it
wouldn't be tied to the buildfarm...

If this is deemed infeasible, then you're correct in the rest of what
you say.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] Maybe with a registered user/pass combo to prevent abuse.
    Consumers of the data could register to use it.