[csw-maintainers] gar question

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 28 23:53:24 CEST 2010

Darin Perusich wrote on 28.04.2010 23:17:
> I'm trying to build perl 8 from gar and it's failing to find the
> PathTools-3.30 dependency. The same thing happens when I attempt to
> build perl 10 as well. I thought all that need to be done was checkout
> the package, change to the trunk/tag directory, and run gmake. What am I
> doing wrong?

I can't speak for the perl recipe, only for the GAR workings in general.

Most build recipes in GAR specify the runtime dependencies for a package
(RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS), but not yet the build dependencies (BUILD_DEP_PKGS).
   If a recipe defines the build dependencies, GAR warns you in case any
of the build depencies is missing. I guess the perl recipe doesn't
define them, thus you can run into missing build dependencies.

Either way you have to install such build dependencies manually, GAR
doesn't pull them in automatically. @Dago: How about a GAR target a la
"install-build-deps"?

Sebastian

P.S.: In an ideal world every recipe would define its build
dependencies, so if you feel like adding some or letting the package
maintainer know, please do so.