[csw-maintainers] Need for additional documentation

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 12 12:12:53 CEST 2010

No dia 12 de Agosto de 2010 10:12, Dagobert Michelsen
<dam at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> There is obviously some lack of visibility here as you noted correctly.
>
> Some notes:
> 1. Some maintainer already maintain a Changelog per package. The standard
> location is
>    /opt/csw/share/doc/<catalogname>/Changelog

I don't know how wide the adoption is though.  I've seen Sebastian
updating the change log, but

> 2. There may be some standard on the format of the Changelog, but it may be
>   difficult to extract specific information

I think Debian has some tools for it.

> 3. It would be nice if checkpkg could somehow verify that the Changelog is
> there
>   and has been updated after the previous package release

This can be arranged.

> 4. The changes should be printed on package update and/or stored in an
> update-log.
> (...)
> Regarding 4: On package upgrade there could be a hook for pkgutil making a
> diff
> of the existing Changelog and the Changelog of the package to be installed
> and
> either print the diff or store it in a "system upgrade log" for this upgrade
> operation.

I like this idea.  Gentoo displays messages after every emerge run, for example:

 * IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

When you type "eselect news", it considers the news read and stops
displaying this message.

We could have something similar: at the end of every run, the package
tool would check if all the news have been read and display a
notification if necessary.