[csw-maintainers] Sendmail

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Fri Aug 13 21:28:56 CEST 2010

I have a question regarding the CSWsendmail package installed and running
on my Solaris 10 SPARC system.

When I reboot, I see a new message that indicates that a process cannot
write to /opt/csw/var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid which is in use
by another process.  When I check the processes running I see that in
addition to the standard sendmail process:

  root  690 sendmail: accepting connections

there are two queue runners:

  smmsp 614 sendmail: Queue runner at 00:15:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
  smmsp 680 sendmail: Queue runner at 00:15:00 for /opt/csw/var/spool/clientmqueue

The first one (614) writes to sm-client.pid and the second one cannot.
Now, /var/spool/clientmqueue (and mqueue) are symlinks pointing to
/opt/csw/var/spool/clientmqueue (and /opt/csw/var/spool/mqueue), so there
is no need for the second process 680, and I'm concerned that running these
two processes could actually cause problems.

When I check the services running, I see the following relating to sendmail:

  online         10:39:23 svc:/network/sendmail-client:default
  online         10:39:24 svc:/network/smtp:cswsendmail

Alex Moore, the old sendmail maintainer is retired.  Is anyone else
managing this package or do you have any insights as to whether this
situation represents a potential problem, and if so, where things got off
track?  Beyond noticing the above, the mail system seems to be working OK.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040