[csw-maintainers] comments on camp "wave", solaris 9 vs 10, etc

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Aug 16 17:54:02 CEST 2010

hi folks,
I've been catching up on the "wave" based notes of the summer camp sessions @
https://wave.google.com/wave/waveref/googlewave.com/w+0tu9vv7tA
(thanks for putting that up, guys!)

I wanted to mention, that I had ALREADY suggested to William (months
ago), that, given the extreme difficulty of building the latest
firefox under solaris, I would be fine if he did just 3.0 for solaris
9 (since that is already "done"), and then 3.6+, for solaris 10.
The only remaining request there being that he recompiles 3.0 against
the new "sun x11" based gtk, etc.

I am okay with this being a general principle also. If there is
EXTREME effort required to get something compiled on sol9, but it's an
easy compile on sol10, then the sol9 version can be somewhat orphaned.
My sticking point, is that a maintainer should at least put in *some*
effort to compile on sol9, and attempt some amount of patching. And if
they get stuck or out of their depth, they should request help.
"I cant get it to work" is not the same thing as "it cant be
done"[without extreme effort]. Noone is an expert in everything. Let's
work together!