[csw-maintainers] Updated postfix packages (2.7.1) in experimental/, testing appreciated

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 17 22:21:17 CEST 2010

Hi Sebastian,

Am 17.08.2010 um 19:13 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
> * Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> On 8/17/10, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> In addition to this package I would like to provide a postfix_simple
>>> package which is a feature-stripped version without a big dependency
>>> chain. Similar to what Ihsan provides on his own [1].
>>>
>>> Are there any objections to or thoughts on this? The GAR recipe [2]
>>> already supports building this alternative package by setting
>>> 'BUILDTYPE=simple' on the commandline, so it's just a matter of running
>>> the build twice.
>>
>> I think it's a great idea. Just please allow the two packages to
>> co-exist, rather than conflicting with each other.
>> There's more than one way to handle the layout thereof; completely
>> separate trees, or "alternatives" based binary overlays, or possibly
>> something else entirely. (lazyloading the libs, and not
>> force-depending on them?)
>> Please pick whatever method you find least offensive :-)
>
> Honestly, the postfix build recipe is already huge and if possible, I
> would like to refrain from introducing any additional complexity.

I don't think you see how easy this really is: You already did the
hard work of adding a "switch": just add
  EXTRA_MODULATORS = BUILDTYPE
  MODULATIONS_BUILDTYPE = simple complex
and do add a couple of lines for alternatives switching. It is really
easy. I can do this if you want. It is even simpler than mutt, because
mutt has two different flavors with B -> A and B' -> A whereas you would
have CSWpostfix-full -> CSWpostfix with CSWpostfix containing everything
and CSWpostfix-full just the enhanced binary and extra dependencies.

You may want to look at mutt as reference, although your case is probably
even simpler:
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/mutt/trunk/Makefile

> What exactly are we trying to solve by not conflicting packages?

You can't know this - I plan to auto-install all generated packages
into an extra experimental zone and conflicting packages would make
this harder than necessary.

Additionally, with the alternatives approach you could start with
CSWpostfix and work with it. If you need more features you can
just install CSWpostfix-feature and just use the new things
without ugly deinstall - reinstall.