[csw-maintainers] NFS-style /opt/csw, and zfs root, beadm,

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Aug 20 19:57:06 CEST 2010

On 8/19/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> They will be synced on BE activation. You must adjust the synclist with
> your specific configuration files you want to have synced. This is the
> way it is intended by Sun. Adding a third way of syncing or moving
> configuration files is IMHO counterproductive.

I think what you are saying is,
 "IF you go through some extra-special setup steps.. which we dont
have documented for you... then your csw configs in /etc will be
copied over between BE environments".

I dont think thats very user-friendly :-/
And I actually think thats against the general principle of multiple
BEs. In principle, BEs are supposed to keep separate /etc, to
guard/test against messups in config files living in /etc!

So, my original premise is still mostly true, with minor clarification.
I'll resummarize it here, with the needed clarification in brackets:

   =======
[By default], if you install CSW packages in one BE, into a filesystem
such as /opt or /opt/csw, which is mounted across multiple
pre-existing BEs as-is, then the experienced behaviour for the
new/updated CSW package in the "other BEs" will be close to identical
to that of an NFS-mounted /opt/csw. There will be no automated update
of /etc/opt, or pre/post scripts, or even class action scripts, run in
the other BEs.
  ========

I will additionally point out, that, depending on how different the
other BEs are, it could be a horrible mistake to just automatically
copy script-generated /etc/opt files from one BE to another. They
could potentially be as different as any two zones could be!
One could be designated a "server" BE, and one could be a non-server
BE, for example.