[csw-maintainers] RFC: idea to unify 32/64 bit headers

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 23 21:49:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

sometime in the past we encountered that the includes for curl are
dependent for 32/64 bit. The solution at that time was to insert
a "branch-include" which basically took the 32- and 64-bit version,
renamed them and conditionally included each one depending if
__amd64 or __sparcv9 was set.

Now Rupert had problems building apr/apr-util/apache with 32/64 bit
and I had a look. apr also the issues with 32/64 dependent includes.
As there were some other issues with the OpenCSW package I looked
at the manifest from OSOL for inspiration and encountered something
really cool.
   http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/apr/apr-1.3/Makefile.sfw
If you do
   diff -D __amd64 curlbuild-32.h curlbuild-64.h
It will generate an include file where the differences only in the
second
file will be shielded by C preprocessor ifdefs with the string after
the -D.
I like this that much that I am really thinking of making this fully
automatic: On merge GAR currently just copies over the default (32 bit)
modulation. I could just merge over the diff'ed 32/64 between the
default 32 bit ISA and 64 bit ISA easily making these special things
obsolete.

Thoughts?

Best regard