[csw-maintainers] Preliminary package reviews

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 26 10:15:28 CEST 2010

Hi Maciej,

Am 26.08.2010 um 08:23 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> No dia 18 de Agosto de 2010 21:48, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> escreveu:
>> It looks mighty good. But I have a question: The checkpkg checks all
>> the files at once. I suppose the output is cached in my home
>> directory,
>> so I must run pkgdb immediately after the checkpkg, right?
>
> Not immediately, the only requirement is to run checkpkg prior to
> running pkgdb.  The reason is that pkgdb lacks at the moment the
> ability to unpack files and relies on the data already being there in
> the database.

But as checkpkg locks the database I guess the packages must be
tasted sequentially, right?

>> This makes parallel execution from user "web" produce corrupt
>> output, right?
>
> Once the data is in the database, there are no restrictions on
> parallel runs.  pkgdb only reads the data, no potential for corruption
> there.  I could imagine some form of race condition if one process was
> inserting thedata into the database, and the other would try to read
> not-yet-complete records, I haven't armored the system against it.  Do
> I need to?

I don't think so. My current usecases look like this:
- Run checkpkg against each set of packages in subdirs from experimental
- run pkgdb against each checkpkg run to produce html for each
experimental
   catalog. This is done every 3 hours on demand ATM.
- next: run checkpkg against each catalog on the mirror (stable,
testing,
   unstable, experimental on mirror/opencsw-future)
     http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw-future/
   I expect these do be done daily.