[csw-maintainers] Alternatives without automatic selection

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 1 11:19:18 CET 2010

On 01/12/10, 00:18:18, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] Alternatives without automatic selection:

> The MTA example is the best here.  If I install exim on my systems as
> that's what I prefer, something else that drags in sendmail
> (hypothetically for some tool it provides that exim doesn't),

I think an MTA is a poor example.  They are not interchangeable.  They
can't coexist because of port clashes so interfere.  An SMTP service
alone is generic enough to be provided by alternative packages but
because it's a network service doesn't have to be on the same machine
so has no business being a depend of a package anyway.

James.