[csw-maintainers] HEADSUP: GAR variable name change GARNAME, GARVERSION -> NAME, VERSION

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 12 13:50:29 CET 2010

Hi,

in preparation for further enhancements to GAR, I just committed an
important variable name change to our repo with r11888.

    GARNAME     -->   NAME
    GARVERSION  -->   VERSION

The rename makes it clearer that these variables don't really pertain to
GAR but rather to the build description, or more specifically, the
software that a build description is for. Usage of the old variable
names will throw a deprecation error starting with r11889.

What does this mean for you?

Nothing much, really. The build descriptions in the GAR repository have
all been adjusted to use the new variable names. So you should be fine
with the following three actions. 1) 'svn up --ignore-externals' your
build tree 2) replace all variable occurrences in potential local-only
working copies and 3) continue working with the new variables in mind.

Other than that, the GAR Wiki [1] and our OpenCSW Wiki [2] have been
updated to reference the new variable names. If you stumble upon any
other documentation that needs an update, or if you encounter any
issues, or if you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sebastian

[1] http://gar.opencsw.org
[2] http://wiki.opencsw.org