[csw-maintainers] Dependencies on SUNW packages (was: newpkgs libslp1, openslp_devel)

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 21 13:33:51 CET 2010

No dia 21 de Dezembro de 2010 02:37, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> I think we would be better off providing some kind of
> "opensolaris_compat" package, or set of packages.
> (and probably putting it in a side tree, not our usual mirror subdirs)
>
> I dont think we should be needlessly duplicating stuff in PROPER
> solaris, because of opensolaris.

I mentioned OpenSolaris, but it's not about OpenSolaris in particular.
 This issue has been noticed before on Solaris 8 too[1][2].

The issue is quite easy to reproduce: Install base Solaris system,
bootstrap OpenCSW, install cups - cupsd won't start.  You have to
manually scp or rsync the SUNWslpu and SUNWslpr directory-format
packages from a Solaris DVD, pkgadd them by hand and only then cupsd
will start working.  There is no warning, there is no error message -
the package seems to have installed cleanly, and you only discover the
problem when you try to use it.

I know that we don't list the SUNW dependencies, because we can't
install them, that's fair enough.  But we probably want to ensure that
our packages work when installed.  What's our strategy for CSW
packages with SUNW dependencies?

[1] http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/users/2004-September/000299.html
[2] https://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=353