[csw-maintainers] Dependencies on SUNW packages (was: newpkgs libslp1, openslp_devel)

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 21 22:28:08 CET 2010

No dia 21 de Dezembro de 2010 17:16, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Dec 21 12:12:08 -0500 2010:
>
>> first of all, I'm curious what you meant by "list". were you
>> speaking webpage, or actual depend file?
>
> Pretty sure we're all meaning depend file here.
>
>> secondly... if we have a dependancy on a semi-'rare' sun
>> package... we can and SHOULD put in SUNW packages as a dependancy.
>> We dont usually bother having SUNWxxx in depend, because they are
>> probably installed anyway.
>
> I think this makes sense.  It would be better to fail at install time
> and have the admin add the semi-'rare' package than mysteriously fail
> at runtime.  The runtime failure may not always have a readily
> apparent reason, but the install-time failure will make it crystal
> clear.

Based on this, here are ideas for check updates:

- binary depends on a shared library provided by a SUNW package =>
suggest depending on that package
- the needed shared library is in a different package on Solaris 9
than it is on Solaris 10 => suggest building separate packages for 9
and 10.

We should also test packages against Solaris 9 and Solaris 10
catalogs.  This is currently to be done on GAR side, as checkpkg now
supports a flag to specify against which OS release we want to check.

I agree with Ben that install-time failure is much more useful that
runtime failure.  Do our utilities fail when they encounter an unmet
SUNW dependency?