[csw-maintainers] CSWX packages

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 24 00:11:48 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Dec 23 12:33:45 -0500 2010:

> > About a year ago, we discussed replacing SUNW package functionality
> > with our own, possibly using CSWX as a prefix.
>
> that would be bad. we should stick to "CSW" exclusively.

The original idea was that a CSWX (or whatever is chosen) package
would delivery _nothing_ under /opt/csw.  It would deliver to /usr
only and thus be free to declare I deps with SUNW packages.

> Side catalog is fine.  OR... include replacement functionality
> natively in exim, and allow replacement of local binaries via
> csw.conf. With default to "no".

Replacement of binaries isn't a full solution though (and exim
currently does this) as patches to solaris may overwrite our binaries
(at least without special awareness by the admin)...this would go
against the "it just works" goal.

Thanks