[csw-maintainers] Package naming policy

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 28 09:37:43 CET 2010

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I vaguely remember the package naming policy allows several different
> variants of package names like
>   CSWfoo-dev
>   CSWfoodev
>   CSWfoodevel
>   CSWfoo-devel
>
> I propose to stick to one consistent naming and retire all other ones.
> Specifically I propose to force naming to CSWfoo-devel now that we have
> longer package names.

Working yesterday on this kind of stuff I remarked that the majority of
our development packages follow this convention and use _devel suffix
(116 of 117 explicitly identified as development packages). So it's too
late to use the _dev suffix without changing a lot of packages
name, even though I would preferred _dev as its shorter, deliver enough
information and its homogeneous with other distributions.

--
Peter