[csw-maintainers] ITP: opencsw-policy

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 29 19:44:23 CET 2010

"Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> The policy will be written as a collection of text files in a
> lightweight markup.  I suggest asciidoc.  During build phase, asciidoc
> files will be transformed into HTML files (also potentially PDF and
> troff).  The package will install all files (in all formats) into
> /opt/csw/share/doc/opencsw_policy.

What's "asciidoc"? The figures are done doing "asciiart"? Seriously, I
know TeX/LaTeX, texinfo or docbook (Debian use this), all of them
convertible to all kind of output (PS, PDF, HTML, &c)

> Example fragment of package prototype:
>
> d none /opt/csw/share/doc/opencsw_policy 0755 root bin
> f none /opt/csw/share/doc/opencsw_policy/index.html 0755 root bin
> f none /opt/csw/share/doc/opencsw_policy/index.txt 0755 root bin
> f none /opt/csw/share/doc/opencsw_policy/license 0644 root bin
>
> The policy files will be licensed under the terms of GNU FDL.
>
> Changes to the policy will be posted to the maintainers (or the devel)
> list for discussion.  The initial submissions will be ports of
> existing documentation on the wiki and in Wordpress.  Any subsequent
> changes will be also posted to the mailing list before submission.

We need a policy mailing list which should be private.

IMO, a wiki is not adequate.

> The policy package will have a maintainer, whose duty will be apply
> posted patches after the consensus is reached.  The maintainer of the
> policy package will have no discretionary control over the contents of
> the package.  The ultimate say in the contents of the policy will
> belong to the board.

This kind of package is a very good candidate to an automatic packaging
on a transition such as when a release is created in subversion (in
the classical subversion structure of trunk/branch/tag/release).

> How do you like this idea?  Do you have any comments or suggestions?

Like a lot.

IMO, the board should minimize its saying on the policies and use a
voting system. BTW, can we have an official voting system/procedure?
--
Peter