[csw-maintainers] ITP: opencsw-policy

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 31 21:26:06 CET 2010

No dia 31 de Dezembro de 2010 11:20, Peter FELECAN
<pfelecan at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> IMO, LaTeX is less about backslashes than document format and good
> typography. Other than using macros you don't need a lot of special
> characters...
>
> For reference, the home of the project is
> http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/
>
> It uses also special characters, a lot of ~, [], {} which are not easier
> than \ on a US keyboard --- which is a must for a programmer anyway.
>
> In asciidoc, the document structure is written:
>
>    [[X1]]
>    Sub-section with Anchor
>    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>    Sub-section at level 2.
>
>    Chapter Sub-section
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Sub-section at level 3.
>
>    Chapter Sub-section
>    +++++++++++++++++++
>    Sub-section at level 4.
>
>    This is the maximum sub-section depth supported by the distributed
>    AsciiDoc configuration.
>
>    footnote:[A second example footnote.]
>
> In LaTeX:
>
>    \chapter{Sub-section with Anchor}
>    \ref{chap:anchor}
>
>    Sub-section at level 2.
>
>    \subsection{Chapter Sub-section}
>
>    Sub-section at level 3.
>
>    \subsubsection{Chapter Sub-section}
>
>    Sub-section at level 4.
>
>    This is not the maximum sub-section depth supported by LaTeX
>    configuration.
>
>    \footnote{A second example footnote.}
>
> Well, for this small example, asciidoc requires 408 characters when
> Latex requires 378... I know that this is naïve and anyway I don't want
> to start a typographic language war. What about a pool about the
> typographic language that is most known by our community?

Sure.

Let's see if we can first assess which markups are the most suitable
for our specific case.  I think that as the intermediate format,
docbook is the best one.  The main problem with it is that it's a PITA
to edit by hand.  That's why I'd prefer to have a lightweight markup
in front of it.  Asciidoc is the one that I've already extensively
tested and it's doing a great job, so I feel confident in suggesting
it.  Of course, I'd be glad to look at others too!

I would like the source files to be really easy to edit.  If they are
hard to edit, people will be less likely to do so.  If you don't know
asciidoc, you'll have to learn it, but it's really easy, the learning
curve has a very gentle slope.

Let's hear from other maintainers too: what markup language would you
like us to use and why?