[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils: location of template init scripts

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Feb 4 19:30:37 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> I think it would be better for our users, if we standardize on a
>> location under /opt/csw
>> For example, /opt/csw/etc/init.d
>> I dont see any drawbacks.
>>..
>> Comments, please?
>
> There's a drawback I can see: it goes against the unification of
> $(sysconfdir) (in our case: /etc$(prefix)). It is true that the init
> files, since they're owned by packages, are read-only, and they could
> live in $(prefix)/etc instead of /etc$(prefix).  This basically means
> that some parts of $(sysconfdir) are read-only and some are
> read-write, but I don't think that it's enough a reason to split them
> into separate directories.

The question in my mind is, "what exactly are we trying to unify under /etc?"
I would think the most precise answer is, "machine local config files".
However, Init scripts, are not config files.

Yes, traditionally, init scripts have "lived" in /etc. but they really
dont "belong" there.

Additionally, the object we are talking about, is even further removed
from that: it is only a *template* for an init script, used by the
cswinitsmf CAS. The actual "live" version, gets copied from the
template, into /etc/init.d
(and usually only on sol 8 or 9 machines - by default, on sol10
machines, it gets absorbed into the SMF framework)
Having the template also live in /etc is not useful, in my opinion.

if you dont like the existance of "/opt/csw/etc/init.d", I think it
would be just as fine somewhere else, perhaps
"/opt/csw/libexec/init.d", if you prefer ?

> ad 2.: sparse zones with shared /opt/csw are currently supported fine
> with /etc$(prefix).

I had forgotten about that; While my initial unspoken premise that it
does not get "shared read only from global zone" is true, it still
gets "supported" via the pkg system making individual copies to each
individual child zone's /etc.

Personally, I think that is hideous :-} and is better avoided.