[csw-maintainers] building netscape security services, nss

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 7 21:21:53 CET 2010

Hi Rupert,

Am 06.02.2010 um 18:35 schrieb rupert THURNER:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 19:14, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> >
> > Firefox was done by William.  I was working on NSS, and it even
> > compiles on Solaris 10, but not Solaris 8, but the reason is
> unclear.
>
> I vaguely recall, that netscape for some unfathomable reason, took a
> very different approach to security and nss, between [sol8 and sol
> 10?]
>
> One of them attempts to compile, and does actually deliver in the
> package, a completely separate [lib*nss*solaris*security*] or
> something, and one does not.
> It gets dynamically linked in to the "main" nss lib, and is a critical
> dependancy, if i recall correctly.
>
> my collegue found an existing old binary - so our need is less
> urgent now. as we are not using solaris-8 anymore, i tried to build
> a solaris-10 package and gar said:
>
> rupert at build10s:~/mgar/pkg/nss/trunk
> $ gmake clean package
> [ Cleaning for modulation isa-sparcv8: ISA=sparcv8 ]
> [ Cleaning for modulation isa-sparcv9: ISA=sparcv9 ]
> gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** You are building this package on a non-
> requested platform host 'build10s'. The follow platforms were
> requested:
> gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** - solaris8-sparc to be build on host 'build8s'
> gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** - solaris8-i386 to be build on host 'build8x'
> gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** You can execute 'gmake platforms' to
> automatically build on all necessary platforms.. Stop.
>

> would it be even appropriate to try to compile a solaris-10 package
> and release it? if yes, what is the correct way to do it?

The default is still to assemble only on Solaris 8. If you want to
assemble on Solaris 10
you have to adjust PACKAGING_PLATFORMS as described here:
   <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/Platforms>
BTW, no need to open a bug, and yes, the Trac bugtracker
   <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/report>
would be the right one for GAR :-)

Apart from that it is AFAIK policy to release starting with Solaris 9
as the release
is still fully supported by Sun.