[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Feb 8 22:53:38 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> Seems to me, that should be the first thing in the proposal;
>> identifying "the problem" that the proposal has been created to fix.
>
> It says so clearly in "background":
>  "The main problem is that there are currently no processes that
>   might potentially lead to a stable release"

well, I would disagree about "clearly" :) Perhaps I will tweak the
wording myself later to make that clearer.

However, what both James and I have pointed out, is that we dont lack
a process.. we lack a person to take responsability to make the
Process actually make Progress.

This came up before... and a person tentatively said they would look
into doing so... but then they did not follow through.

So lets bring up a critical point right now:

If the primary purpose of this new proposal, is "getting a new stable
release done", then let us ask the question, "Who is going to
volunteer to be the stable release manager?", with the understanding
that it will result in a commitment of time to do so?

or are you proposing that there be a "stable release committee"?
If so, then who is going to take responsability when things are behind?
committees are semi-good for discussing options, but lousy, when it
comes to taking responsibility.
That's why, in any organization, every employee has one manager, and
every project has one (primary) project manager.

Who is going to be the primary "project manager" for stable release?
No "well, I'll think about it", but a firm commitment to do it?  I'd
really love for someone to step up and take this on.
But so far... no takers.

Anyone?  Anyone?