[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 9 20:07:12 CET 2010

On 08/02/10, 17:39:13, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal:

> As far as I'm aware, the #1 problem that we have in this sort of area, is
> "no one has volunteered to commit to spend the many hours involved, to
> be the official stable release manager"

The number one problem has been the number of packages and innovation.
Taking a snapshot only makes sense if done at an opportune time and
there hasn't been one.  Remember it has to be the timed right for
people too, not only those enacting release but those changing the
game as we go.  Stability needs less innovation.  That means we need
some people to hold off change while we plough though the mess.

Here's one example, we have stuff linked to both /usr/openwin and
/opt/csw/X11.  I fear if we rebuild one package it just moves the
front to another which will possibly meet something large like KDE.
There are needs for experimental forks, /opt/csw/X11 could be one.
It might end up this easily solved in a few moves but it will take
time to verify the fact and it really shouldn't need asking in the
first place.

James.