[csw-maintainers] ldd -r and "symbol not found:" errors: how to disable the check

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 11 14:49:40 CET 2010

Roger Håkansson wrote:
> On 2010-02-06 00:30, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
>> I've added a new checkpkg module a few days ago, which runs "ldd -r"
>> and greps the output for "symbol not found:".  This catches shared
>> libraries which are not self-contained.
>>
>> Some of you will hit the problem in which this check throws a false
>> positive: There might be libraries which are non-self-contained by
>> design.
>
> That's not the only case, when building packages where you have binaries
> linked to libraries which belongs to the package being built, or when a
> package contains more than one library and there are some dependencies
> between them, you also get an error.
>
> Currently "missing-symbols" only seem to work when there are binaries
> and libraries linked to libraries outside the package.

Found another problem:

When building libsoup, I get:
CSWlibsoup: symbol-not-found libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0

libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0 is the binary file and there are two links to
that file, libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1 and libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.
SONAME for that lib is libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1 so why checkpkg complains
about not finding libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.2.0 I can't see.

Also, in the package I've included the libraries from the current
libsoup and libsoup2 packages and for one of those libraries I get the
same error