[csw-maintainers] Registering packages in mantis (was Re: [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs firefox_l10n_af, ...)

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 23 08:53:40 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 23.02.2010 um 08:44 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:39 AM, William Bonnet
> <william at wbonnet.net> wrote:
>>> its semi-automated, and not really an extra hassle. This was more a
>>> deliberate choice of,
>>> "I dont think we'll benefit from registering them in mantis,and
>>> there's a slight drawback of the extra clutter if we do put them
>>> in".
>>>

>> IMHO benefit will be the same as many other other "samll packages".
>> If they
>> are not registered, there will be no way to report problem (that's
>> the
>> initial release, and there my be problems). Moreover, it will not be
>> possible to ask for update through the bug tracker.
>>
>> I think we should have a cohrent policy, and register in mantis
>> each and
>> every package.
>
> Mantis creates a drop-down select field with all the packages in a
> flat list.  Selecting an item from a list of 2280 packages is
> annoying.  I agree though that it's good to have every package
> registered in the database.  What do we do then?

We could create "bundles" of packages built from the same source, like
_rt, _devel, _base, _fance, _l18n_, ... and register only once.
The correct bundle could be found by going over the package page
packages/<pkg> -> "Report Bug" which links the package to the correct
bundle. The packages per bundle can easily be retrieved from GAR.
THis would also mean consolidating bugs from all individual bug sections
to the bundle.