[csw-maintainers] Registering packages in mantis (was Re: [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs firefox_l10n_af, ...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 23 17:40:48 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> Am 23.02.2010 um 15:12 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>
>> not quite sure what you mean by "bundle" Dago... but seems to me that
>> in this case, the packages in question are pretty clearly a "part of"
>> firefox already
>
> The idea is to map packages to "bundles" and report bugs with the "report
> bug" button on the packages page going to the Mantis project named after
> the bundle. This reduses and unifies the buglisting. That means that
>  CSWmypkg
>  CSWmypkgdevel
>  CSWmypkgrt
>  CSWmypkg_i18_de
> would all belong to the bundle "mypkg" derived after the main package
> catalog name.

Erm.. I'm not exactly sure what that would gain us.
we would avoid the extra 60 (yes, 60!) extraneous firefox local
packages being listed in mantis.
But we would then have them in the output of
http://www.opencsw.org/packages. and it would make things quite a bit
more complex to maintain, web-code wise. and release-wise.

[complexity: what mechanism would we use to derive the "main package"
name, and where/how would this information be stored?]

Seems simpler, and yet quite straightforward, to have an understanding of,

"If there is   softname, softname_FOO, softname_BAR, softname_BAZ, and
there are not separate mantis categories,  you are expected to go file
bugs for the base name 'softname' "

Even a newbie user should be able to figure that one out as-is.