[csw-maintainers] Readline in sqlite3, changes to other people's packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jan 4 18:56:24 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I was thinking about a more general case.  Let's say there's a package
> that I'm willing to put some work into, such as this one.  It's much
> quicker to just fix the issue myself than ti file a bug and wait for
> the maintainer to respond.  However, when I submit the package for
> release, I become the maintainer instead.  Can we have a process in
> which:
>
> - I can introduce a change to a package and rebuild it
> - the package maintainer (here: Dago) approves the change
> - I submit it for release
> - I don't become the maintainer.

In my opinion, the right thing to do, would be for "the maintainer" to
rebuild the package with your changes.

Contrariwise, even if you dont wish to be the maintainer... If you are
willing to do the work to repackage the thin to fix a bug, and [the
current maintainer] is not.. you are de facto a better "maintainer"
than the current one, and the best thing to do is for you to become
the maintainer.
Or learn patience, if the maintainer says they can get to it in a few days ;-)