[csw-maintainers] GAR: Changes to checkpkg: shared libraries and modularity

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 6 01:47:38 CET 2010

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote on 04.01.2010 16:43:
> The v2-checkpkg branch has been merged to v2 today.  It means that the
> new shared library checking code is now live.  The next time you
> update your GAR sources, the new code will be pulled in.
>
> [...]
>
> One of the main differences in output is that the new check displays
> dependencies it thinks are unnecessary.  I found it a useful feature.
> For instance, I found out that syslog-ng was reported to have an
> unnecessary dependency on CSWtcpwrap.  Upon close examination, it
> turned out that syslog-ng was supposed to have tcp wrapper support,
> but it was just not compiled in.  If checkpkg hasn't tipped me off, I
> wouldn't have known or fixed this issue.  I'm sure other people will
> be able to catch some problems by looking at this part of checkpkg's
> output.

Yes!! Thanks for the time you put into this! checkpkg just did the same
for me with mbuffer. Dependency to openssl_rt had become obsolete with
version bumps and this would have gone unnoticed if it was only for me.

> The new code outputs also information about dependencies between
> binary files: which files uses which shared library, and which package
> provides the library in question.
>
> I suspect that the new code might be slightly more picky and may
> produce more false positives than the previous one.  If you run into a
> false-positive, or any kind of problem with library-related checks,
> please drop me a line.  I've got small debugging infrastructure
> integrated into the new checkpkg files.

Two minor things. First, the mbuffer package doesn't contain any
library, still checkpkg tries to check something (the binary?) for a SONAME.

INFO:root:The mbuffer shared library doesn't provide a SONAME.
INFO:root:The mbuffer shared library doesn't provide a SONAME.

Second, and this is really minor (but I guess trivial to attack with
your python foo), could you get rid of the Unicode u prefix in front of
the provided-by-package names?

Analysis of sonames needed by the package set:
libresolv.so.2 is provided by u'SUNWcsl' and required by:
  mbuffer
libmhash.so.2 is provided by u'CSWlibmhash' and required by:
  mbuffer
libnsl.so.1 is provided by u'SUNWcsl' and required by:
  mbuffer
librt.so.1 is provided by u'SUNWcsl' and required by:
  mbuffer
libsocket.so.1 is provided by u'SUNWcsl' and required by:
  mbuffer
libm.so.1 is provided by u'SUNWlibms' and required by:
  mbuffer
libpthread.so.1 is provided by u'SUNWcsl' and required by:
  mbuffer
libc.so.1 is provided by u'SUNWcsl' and required by:
  mbuffer

Sebastian