[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 7 16:33:13 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> I like the idea of s/_/-/g when going from catalog names to pkgnames.
>> Thissentenceismymainargumentforusingdashesitsjusthardtoread.  I would
>> really like to have a blessed word separator for the pkgnames.  Sun
>> packages uses cases, the have something like SUNWonewordSECONDWORD.  I
>> perceive it as ugly.
>>

>> The consistency I'm definitely for is that we achieve consensus, it
>> gets documented, and we follow it.
>>

> well, in some cases, the CSWxxx name doesnt realliyhave to be
> "readable", that's what our "software name" is for.  the PKG name is
> there almost just as a placeholder.
>
> and an argument AGAINST having - in the names:
>
> CSWxxx-yyy  does not double-click-select in xterm. you ahve to click
> and drag to select it.

Turns out, you can customize xterm and tell it which characters belong
to words and which don't.  man xterm, look for "charClass".  The quick
fix is:

echo >> ~/.Xresources "xterm*charClass: 45:48"
xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

If you use xterm, it should be useful for you.

By the way, it turned out some time ago that the dot is also a legal
character as far as pkgnames are concerned.  I learned that when
creating a catalog with SUNW packages.