[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] BO Buildfarm available again

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 14 22:43:09 CET 2010

Hi James,

Am 14.01.2010 um 15:05 schrieb James Lee:
> On 13/01/10, 15:33:19, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote
> regarding
> Re: [csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] BO Buildfarm available again:

>>> Any reason for the restriction?
>
>> Because the machine doesn't have more resources ;-)
>
> Excuse me the machine does, prior to enhancement each virtual machine
> had 60% more available CPUs.

Is this a problem for you? Are you really using that many parallel
threads?
If it proves useful I could lower the assignments from OSOL to
the Solaris 10 LDom.

>> There is also
>> a control domain with 1 GB Ram and 4 Strands which sums up to
>> 16 GB and 32 strands total.
>
> Ah yes so LDOMs are restrictive.  Sorry I've only read the marketing
> bumph which suggests resources are shared.

Yes, the machine is shared like "there are two OS instances on shared
hardware". The hardware is not shared, but partitioned.

> That is on the misleading
> side of truthful as there is no dynamic sharing of CPU and memory.
> Where load is sporadic as for build hard partitioning is a waste of a
> good machine.

I had the impression that the T5220 wasn't used that much at all. Most
of the time the load is beneath 3 or 4 (from 32 in the previous
configuration). If you have suggestions on how to better utilize
the resources I am all ears.