[csw-maintainers] new mailing list?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 14 23:59:59 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> 1. Packages that are rejected are typically rejected for common
>   reasons.  The more people the see these, the better we'll get over
>   time as we stop making the same mistakes.

and

> 4. More visible maintainer activity.  This is an easy way to keep an
>   eye on who's releasing what.  This info can be gotten other ways of
>   course, but this is a more passive approach to seeing the same
>   info.

Sharing the package submission e-mail with other maintainers was my
first instinct, but I got rebuked for "spamming the maintainers
mailing list".  A separate list would be good, because it makes the
spamming argument go away.

> 2. History preservation.
> 3. Team maintainership memory.  Presently, if mails are private
>   between $release_manager and $maintainer, a $maintainer2 may not
>   know why a package is not being released.  A list archive could
>   resolve this.  This follows from #2.

This might be quite important at some point.  For example, who was the
previous maintainer of package X?  When were specific versions
submitted and released?

> 5. Openness.  It pulls back the curtains a bit more on some of the
>   backend happenings.

I predict this argument will be attacked by Phil, as he generally
pushes everything towards closedness.  But I'm for transparency, and
I'm generally interested in all the works and updates of other
packages.  Most of the time the mailing list will be along the lines
of "here's a new package", "ok", but I'm sure that every now and then
there are in-depth technical discussions which might be interesting
and educating for the rest of maintainers, especially the new ones.

In short, +1.