[csw-maintainers] new mailing list?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 19 18:24:28 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> 5. Openness.  It pulls back the curtains a bit more on some of the
>>   backend happenings.
>
> I predict this argument will be attacked by Phil, as he generally
> pushes everything towards closedness.

You dont know me as well as you think you do :-P

>It's a classic example when somebody makes a proposal, the vast
>majority of maintainers support the idea, Phil says no, and the topic
>dies a quiet death.  I would like this not to happen any more.

I will mention here that the most common reason for this sort of
cycle, is that I point out potential problems in the proposal, and
no-one can come up with decent fixes for the problems in the proposal
that I bring up.
So then the flawed proposal dies. And in a logically based system,
that is a GOOD thing.
Flawed proposals SHOULD "die a quiet death". Not every proposal should
succeed; even
initially popular ones.

That being said... I didnt even say "no this list should not be
created or used".
I only pointed out that it wont fully achieve specific things that Ben
stated he thought it would do.

It was nice to see that on this proposal, people actually replied to
my comments in a useful manner, calmly and rationally. This is GOOD! I
LIKE this! :-) My goal is not "stop all proposals", but only "point
out any flaws in them that I can see". If people actually address
those flaws, then I will cheerfully support a proposal I may have been
initially against.

PS: "submitpkg" as the new list name seems fairly good to me.