[csw-maintainers] maintainers email addrs on packages

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 21 11:51:49 CET 2010

On 20/01/10, 21:30:04, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] maintainers email addrs on packages:

> > Not that, although now the email goes to the last maintainer and
> > it doesn't change until a new packages is built.  Divorcing the
> > address from the package could make it easier to change the route.
> >
> > The packages contain the personal emails and we can't change.

> But we shouldnt need to "fix" that, as an organization.
> When a package is updated by a new maintainer, the "correct"
> maintainer email gets into the package.
> If someone is asking for support on a package, the first thing they
> should do is upgrade to the latest "current" version of the package.

What if it is the current?  Then the old maintainer is still listed
in the package.

> > When someone takes a sabbatical the destination should be swapped.

> "redirect their organizational email".
> Same as in any other organization, when a person goes on "sabbatical"
> or extended leave.

That can only be done on a per user basis, it's not possible to route
some one way and others another.  It also means any personal messages
are redirected.  A break might mean a break from work but not all
contact.

> > I subscribe to upstream announce lists and the address goes with
> > the package not me.

> Umm.. yikes. roles being subscribed to mailing lists, doesnt sound
> like a good idea to me personally.

${user}@opencsw.org is already a redirect.  It's no different.

James.