[csw-maintainers] maintainers email addrs on packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jan 21 22:47:28 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Let me try to put it in words again: in Mantis I would like to grant
> global maintainer privileges to every OpenCSW maintainer so that they
> can work more freely and more flexible on all bugs and packages.

oh. well, that's an entirely different matter.

>If I do
> so, Mantis will _automatically_ remove all the project-level maintainer
> privileges.

However, if you were to plan this, you could easily make a database
backup of existing maintainer privs, then do the change, then reapply
the individual-project flags afterwards in one batch one.

That being said.... IF we were to do this, it would be then more
rational to retire the whole "individual project manager" paradigm.

HOWEVER.... that has other side effects. Such as, how to separate
"people who have global ability to do [stuff like move bugs around]".
vs people who are REALLY supposed to be "global admins" ?

Woudl be nicer if there were simply the ability to enable "transfer
bugs to other proj" in mantis without having to give global admin.

>> But both of those things will need changes anyway, if we ever support
>> multiple people "owning" a package.
>
> So while we are at it, the person you called out for (in assistance for
> refactoring the packages/ and maintainers/ pages) might as well consider
> to implement a dedicated CSW meta db (meta sounds more heavyweight than
> it actually is) in order to make things more robust. At least that's
> what I would hope for, but it's up to him then.

Eh.. technically, we already have a per-package database in existance
for other reasons, so it would in reality most likely mean going back
to using that as the canonical place for "who owns a package?"