[csw-maintainers] Distributing a Python library with GAR, pkgutil, and others

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 22 16:06:41 CET 2010

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Fri Jan 22 03:07:00 -0500 2010:

> I could add a svn:externals to mgar/v2/... but this would mean that
> each time a code checkout/update is make, two slow and annoying
> svn:externals are downloaded.  I'd like to avoid that.

Please no! :)

> To recap:

> - make a copy of the file - easy to do now, but hard to maintain in
>   the future
> - make a package - makes it hard to develop code
> - svn:externals - easy to do, easy to develop and easy to maintain,
>   but slow/annoying for people to use

This is the same problem that GAR as a whole faces.  I don't have a
good answer and as you know, we simply treat GAR as an in-flight
object...until we nail down something for GAR, I'd suggest just
sticking it with the rest of the mgar/ tree.  When we solve the GAR
problem (have a stabilized tool that can be packaged), we could
re-evaluate then.

Not likely much help, but that's my $0.02 CDN.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.