[csw-maintainers] Distributing a Python library with GAR, pkgutil, and others

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 22 19:43:58 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jan 22 13:31:56 -0500 2010:

> [as far as I know, "no-one", and "never" :-(  ]

Dago did some preliminary work on this, but I don't know where it
stands.  It's a fast moving target at times though, so a package for
it could be quite annoying.  Having it tracked via svn makes it
lighter on its feet...if we could track it as a package _and_ keep it
easy to keep updated, that'd be ideal.  The lag for mirrors, or the
overhead of a manual install is what makes it less than ideal as a
package.

In some ways it's like automake and friends.  My box here has 1.11,
but if I want to fiddle with coreutils to compare something between
solaris and linux, it yells and says I need 1.11.1.  It's a bleeding
edge kind of dev tool.

> Perhaps, Maciej, this might give you a little motivation to work on
> that problem as well? kill two birds with one stone? ;-)

Great if so, but it's not a simple problem to solve nicely for all
that use it.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.