[csw-maintainers] Distributing a Python library with GAR, pkgutil, and others

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jan 22 20:03:17 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> In some ways it's like automake and friends.  My box here has 1.11,
> but if I want to fiddle with coreutils to compare something between
> solaris and linux, it yells and says I need 1.11.1.  It's a bleeding
> edge kind of dev tool.

This sounds like a fundamental problem to me.
We are in the "business" of making reliable packages. Does it make
sense to base that on top of a foundation of a "bleeding edge kind of
dev tool"?

Perhaps someone with the time,and software development experience,
could put together a more formal spec for this beast, and then we can
nail it down into a more "productional" form?