[csw-maintainers] On examining proposals (was: new mailing list?)

Gary Law glaw at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 25 23:04:50 CET 2010

2010/1/25 Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:
> yet solves all my objections to it

And therein lies the problem. It's a one-man veto. It doesn't
encourage participation and it doesn't scale (ok, we've two release
managers now, but you know what I mean). I've worked on change boards,
and no-one ever has veto that can't be overridden.

Maintainers should be assumed to know what their doing. If the release
manager feels something is seriously substandard, and they can't agree
to release it, it should be put to a vote here. But unless it's a
complete turkey, I say release early, release often.

Think about this in agile terms -- it's software we're dealing with
after all. No agile process has a ''now get the agreement to release
from the person who may not give his requirements until after you've
done all the work'' step in it, for very obvious reasons!

Gary

glaw at opencsw.org