[csw-maintainers] On examining proposals (was: new mailing list?)

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 26 08:20:26 CET 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 25.01.2010 um 23:17 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> Maintainers should be assumed to know what their doing. If the
>> release
>> manager feels something is seriously substandard, and they can't
>> agree
>> to release it, it should be put to a vote here.
>
> I will point out that, on occasion where I reach a deadlock with a
> maintainer in my capacity as release manager, I have more than once
> said, "ok, lets bring this up for discussion on the general list".
>
> This doesnt happen very often, however, because by far the vast
> majority of maintainers recognize that I am bringing up logical points
> of interest about the package, and they work well with me in
> discussing potential workarounds, and then the package gets released.
>
> For this reason, I am very much in FAVOR of making the package release
> process public via a new mailing list, so that the more
> difficult-to-deal-with people can see how easily the process flows,
> when both people act in a reasonable fashion.

There is one more point to it: See, that the overall project comes
ahead and regularly ping people who delivered a sub-standard package,
see that they get help if needed, see that maybe others take over
the package, start work on stubs to get something going. Keep the
discussion flowing and see that ideas don't die.

We have a plurality of offices here as you are not only the release
manager but also the president. You are perfectly well describing
what your work as release manager is and how it should be, however,
there is an additional task you have taken over. And that requires
more than just QA board filtering.