[csw-maintainers] On updating Perl modules

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 31 17:37:33 CET 2010

Hi,

when we now update all Perl modules we should take care they are linked
against Perl. THis means "ldd -r" must not contain any errors of the
form

>         symbol not found: Perl_safesysmalloc            (work/
> solaris8-i386/pkgroot/opt/csw/lib/perl/csw/auto/BerkeleyDB/
> BerkeleyDB.so)
>         symbol not found: Perl_safesysfree              (work/
> solaris8-i386/pkgroot/opt/csw/lib/perl/csw/auto/BerkeleyDB/
> BerkeleyDB.so)
>         symbol not found: Perl_safesysrealloc           (work/
> solaris8-i386/pkgroot/opt/csw/lib/perl/csw/auto/BerkeleyDB/
> BerkeleyDB.so)
>         symbol not found: PL_memory_wrap                (work/
> solaris8-i386/pkgroot/opt/csw/lib/perl/csw/auto/BerkeleyDB/
> BerkeleyDB.so)

Maciej: Is the ldd -r check already activated?

This is very important when libperl.so is used in embedding the Perl
interpreter in other applications or subtle errors will occur like
the one described here:
   http://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=3766
Please read the enclosed debian report for details.